Championship roundup: Baggies hold on while Wayne Rooney rues errors

Valérien Ismaël marked his first home game in charge of West Brom with a victory as they held on for a 3-2 win over Luton in an enthralling encounter at the Hawthorns.

A Kal Naismith own goal in the fifth minute and a Callum Robinson header in the 36th gave the home side a comfortable half-time lead, which they built on in the 66th when Karlan Grant fired home.

There was a tense finish, though, when Harry Cornick converted in the 70th minute and then, eight minutes into the 16 added on due to a concussion sustained by Jordan Clark, Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu did likewise. But the home side were good value for their victory.

Fulham thumped Huddersfield 5-1 despite having Harry Wilson sent off in the second half.

Peterborough pulled off a thrilling stoppage-time fightback to see off Derby 2-1. Darren Ferguson’s side turned the game round with goals from Harrison Burrows and Siriki Dembélé in a dramatic 11 minutes of additional time.

Wayne Rooney, who had seen his team take the lead in the 77th minute through substitute Jack Stretton, said: “Lapses in concentration and individual mistakes have cost us … We put a lot of work in and yet we go away with nothing to show for it. As a manager you can cope with players making mistakes. What you can’t deal with is them not trying – but every single one of our lads gave everything for us.”

Substitute Stretton came on for Colin Kazim-Richards, who had to be taken off on a stretcher. “I don’t think it is going to be a quick fix,” Rooney said. “He’ll be out for a while. As I keep saying, it’s going to be a tough, long season.”

QPR earned a resounding 3-0 win at Hull with goals from Chris Willock, Lyndon Dykes and Rob Dickie doing the damage. George Moncur was sent off for the Tigers.

Bournemouth held on for a 2-1 win at Nottingham Forest after playing the last 30 minutes with 10 men. David Brooks, who put them ahead, was dismissed on the hour, minutes after Philip Billing had restored the visitors’ lead following Scott McKenna’s equaliser.

Cardiff were 2-0 winners at Blackpool thanks to goals from Leandro Bacuna and Kieffer Moore, while Uche Ikpeazu and Matt Crooks goals were enough for Middlesbrough to beat Bristol City 2-1. Reading beat Preston 2-1, with John Swift scoring the winner, and Dominik Frieser’s goal gave Barnsley a 1-0 win over Coventry, who missed a late penalty. Millwall and Blackburn drew 1-1, while it was goalless between Birmingham and Stoke.