Late Cavaleiro double seals crushing win for 10-man Fulham at Huddersfield

Fulham thumped Huddersfield to pick up their first win of the season despite Harry Wilson being sent off midway through the second half.

Huddersfield started brightly but were made to pay for some woeful first-half defending as Aleksandar Mitrovic opened the scoring in the ninth minute after errors from Ryan Schofield and Sorba Thomas.

Josh Onomah and Fabio Carvalho scored two more in the latter stages of the first half after further defensive blunders by the hosts.

Matty Pearson had given Huddersfield brief hope after heading home from a 41st-minute corner, halving Fulham’s lead only minites before their third goal.

Substitute Ivan Cavaleiro chipped Schofield to make it 4-1 with 12 minutes to go, before another cool Cavaleiro finish deep into stoppage time rounded off the scoring.

The visitors had played the last 18 minutes a man down after Wilson was sent off for kicking out at Levi Colwill following a late tackle.

Schofield tipped away Onomah’s long-range effort in the second minute during a frantic opening, before Paulo Gazzaniga kept out a Duane Holmes shot after a flowing move by Huddersfield.

Pearson had a goal ruled out after he smashed a loose ball home from the resulting corner, but Fulham hit the front four minutes later through Mitrovic.

Schofield was unable to control a misjudged back pass by Thomas and could only watch on as his clearance rebounded off Mitrovic and into the goal.

Mitrovic had a header ruled out for offside after 31 minutes, before Wilson scuffed a shot wide with the goal begging soon after.

The pressure paid off when Onomah bundled home from close range after Huddersfield failed to react to Bobby Decordova-Reid’s corner in the 37th minute.

Pearson pulled a goal back after he rose brilliantly to head home a Thomas corner. But it was to no avail after Fulham restored their two-goal cushion through Carvalho before the break as the home side again failed to clear their lines.

Schofield palmed away a curling Wilson effort in stoppage time, before Josh Koroma fired straight at the goalkeeper from 20 yards just before the hour mark.

The Huddersfield keeper then failed to hold a Carvalho shot, before Wilson hit the crossbar from the rebound and followed up with an effort that was struck straight at Schofield as Fulham pegged Huddersfield back inside their own half.

But the Liverpool loanee Wilson was shown a red card in the 72nd minute for lashing out at Colwill following a late tackle on the touchline.

It did not prevent Fulham from extending their lead further, however, with Cavaleiro chipping over Schofield after a perfect pass by Decordova-Reid in the 78th minute and then adding another five minutes into stoppage time after good holdup play by Mitrovic.

“We were the better team and deserved the three points,” said Marco Silva. “We didn’t get what we deserved last week, but we did this week.

“The first goal was a lucky one but we had clear chances after that to score more and more.”

Carlos Corberán, the Huddersfield manager, said: “We didn’t compete in too many moments and when you are not competitive you can suffer this type of defeat.”

“The team looked nervous and didn’t show the confidence we have seen. It is really disappointing. We were competitive from the start but we did not keep the level that we needed.